The village of Hancock is located near what is now the intersection of State Street and Park Avenue in Longswamp Township. An article in the Kutztown Patriot, July 22, 1899, suggests that the village was named in honor of Clinton G. Hancock, who was the general passenger agent of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. Hancock was a freight and passenger station on the line of the East Pennsylvania Railroad, midway between Topton and Merztown, Pa.
"The Village of Hancock" was researched, written, and published by the Longswamp Township Historical Society in 2016. All 10 of our "Village series" booklets are available from our web store.
Image: A winter scene of Meadow Drive in the village of Hancock.