The village of Mertztown is located at latitude 40.506 and longitude -75.665 in the area of the intersection of the former East Pennsylvania Railroad and Reading Railroad (today Norfolk Southern), Valley Road, Chestnut Street and Barclay Street in Longswamp Township. Documentation shows that Nicholas, David, and Peter Mertz, all of whom arrived in Philadelphia in 1733, were among the founders of the Longswamp Church.
There is also evidence that large parcels of land in the Mertztown area were deeded to J. Peter Trexler in 1788 from Peter, Nicholas, and David Mertz. At that time, many of the name of Mertz moved to Northumberland, but the Mertz family name was established in the village.
"The Village of Mertztown" was researched, written, and published by the Longswamp Township Historical Society in 2014. All ten "Village series" booklets are available from our web store.
Image: The Hotel Biery barroom.