The village of Shamrock Station (later shortened to Shamrock) is located at the intersection of Kennedy Avenue and the railroad line in Longswamp Township at latitude 40.503 and longitude -75.649. The town got its name in 1860 from railroad official M.E.Lyons and his crew of Irish railroad workers who camped in the area for several months amidst rich, luxuriant clover fields, which reportedly filled them with nostalgia and memories of their homeland.
"The Village of Shamrock" was researched, written, and published by the Longswamp Township Historical Society in 2014. All ten "Village series" booklets are available for purchase from our web store.
Image: The Shamrock Hotel, as it appears in the late 1930s-early 1940s.