top of page


The village of Longsdale is one mile southwest of the Longswamp United Church of Christ (State Street). The story goes that a number of people by the name of Lang or Long owned this land, hence Long's Valley or Longs' Dale, now contracted to "Longsdale."

Another small village, located in the western part of Longsdale was once referred to as Fritchdale. The area was likely named after Johannes Fritch, who settled on a Long's Valley farm in 1769.

"The Village of Longsdale" was researched, written, and published in 2013 by the Longswamp Township Historical Society. All ten "Village" series" booklets are available for purchase from our web store.
Image:  The Long-Hawerter grist mill, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

bottom of page